The National Music Consultative Committee (NMCC)
The National Music Consultative Committee (NMCC) provides advice to the NBCA and State Governing Bodies on matters relating to music and musical repertoire.
Its creation arose from difficulties faced by some National Championships Organising Committees in obtaining advice on Test Music selections. However, after discussion at the 2000 NBCA Conference, delegates felt that the scope for an advisory committee was much wider, particularly in the identification and grading of new music compositions and arrangements.
There is no intention for the NMCC to interfere with the operations of each State’s own Music Advisory Board. State bodies are free to obtain advice from the NMCC but are not obligated to do so. The NBCA believes it has added to the structure, not duplicated a part of it.
The NMCC consists of a Chairperson, two members with a detailed understanding of music for brass bands and 2 members with a detailed understanding of music for concert bands. As the membership of the committee shows, Australia is fortunate to have people with a detailed understanding of music for both styles.
A specialist subcommittee of the NBCA consisting of a Chairperson and four members appointed by the NBCA from persons nominated by State Governing Bodies. The Chairperson is to be a member of the NBCA. The Executive Officer of the NBCA will act as Secretary to the NMCC. Two members of the subcommittee are to have a detailed understanding of music for brass bands, and two members of music for concert bands.
To provide advice to the NBCA and State Governing Bodies on matters relating to music and musical repertoire.
- To provide advice and assistance to State Governing Bodies (and their National Championship Organising Committees), on a confidential basis, with regard to the selection of Test Music for Band and Solo events for National Championships.
- To provide, on request, advice and assistance to SGB with regard to the selection of Test Music for State and/or Regional Championships.
- To scan the repertoire of Brass and Concert band music and publish, from time to time, lists of music which may be suitable as Test Pieces for Band and Solo & Party Championships.
- To provide advice and recommendations to the NBCA on any issues involving music or musical matters.
The subcommittee will meet from time to time by way of teleconference, e-mail or similar technology.
- Meetings will be convened by the Executive Officer at the request of the Chairperson.
- Otherwise, the subcommittee shall regulate its own proceedings.